Living in the 21st century, not being affected by technology has become almost inevitable. It has changed the ways in which we communicate and go about our lives.
In this dynamic world, education too cannot escape the impact of technology. The presence of internet itself has revolutionized the process with which we access and disseminate information at just click of a button. From laptops, educational apps to online courses, technology has changed the face of education the most today.
Here are a few ways in which technology has changed the education scenario globally-
1. Going Glocal- With facilities like video conferencing and applications like Skype, teachers and students can share knowledge in an easy and convenient manner whenever, wherever & with whomever they want across the globe.
2. Interactive Textbooks- The way textbooks are today is completely changing. It is no longer limited to merely text and pictures. Today’s textbooks often have web-based sites that include assessments, animations, additional materials, videos, and other materials to support the learning of new content.
3. Improved Communication Levels- More and more teachers are now using technological aids to keep in touch with their students. Teachers remain in constant touch with their students through e-mails and services like dropbox that allows you to upload and share content with a large number of people.
4. Multimedia Experience- Learning has now become more fun with coming up of learning aids like- presentations, animation, videos etc. It has completely evolved the traditional method of learning.
5. Chalk Boards on the verge of extinction- Every day, new programs and web-based tools are teaching our students content that was once paper or chalkboard based. More focus & attention is being placed on interactive gaming as a powerful platform for student learning.
6. Availability of vast expanse of information-What used to take hours in the library to find, is now available instantaneously. As a result, we need to sort through huge amounts of information efficiently and in the process we get to learn many new things too!
7. Tech leads the way- Edublogs, Podcasts, Videos, Chat Rooms and Office tools have now become very popular in educational institutions and provide information for students on everything from classroom instruction to employment opportunities.
8. BYOD Concept- In some countries, the concept of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) has already been successfully implemented. This encourages the young learners to use new technological learning tools as well as reduces the burden of carrying heavy bags & textbooks around.
While there have been quite a few positive impacts of technology on education, there are few a negative too!
Using technology can affect a child’s ability to empathize. A study on two groups of sixth graders found that kids who had no access to electronic devices for five days were better at picking up on emotions and nonverbal cues of photos of faces than the group that used their devices during that time. The increased face-to-face interaction that the test group had made students more sensitive to nuances in expression. Also, improper use of technology can expose a child to numerous risks.
Technology makes our lives easier. But with each advantage comes a potential cost. When we understand those costs and can minimize them, we can keep the use of technology positive.